Monday, April 27, 2009

Enjoy the Journey!

We woke up to a beautiful morning this morning with the birds chirping, the sun shinning (for a while anyway), warmer temperatures, and green all around. While I was reading this morning I ran across a story that really made me think. My prayer is that it will stay with me today and over the days to come. In the book 'Simon Says' Chuck Goetschel is explaining an experience he had with his four year old son.
"His son wanted to ride his bike to a nearby park (3 mile round trip). On the way he saw a rain puddle and jumped off his bike to explore it. He was full of excitement and pointed out everything in the puddle to his dad; the leaves, the stones, and the unidentifiable stuff."

While reading that, the thoughts going through my mind were all related to the task they were trying to accomplish. A 3 mile bike trip with a four year old, how will they ever accomplish it if they stop to look at all the stuff along the way?

"'God made it just for us' the four year said.....then jumped back on his bike and headed to the park."

What an eye opener for me. I know I'm task orientated and that I need to work on enjoying the journey along the way. As I type this I have two little girls climbing on me wanting to play...which I will do as soon as i finish writing this. Chuck goes on to say "....slow down enough to allow some of the little things in life to grab your attention.

What great words of advice to hear in this face paced society. I pray that God will allow me to see the areas of my life I need to slow down in and that He will help me see and appreciate those little miracles He has created along the way. To enjoy the journey, not just the destination!

No comments: