Thursday, June 3, 2010

Inevitable

We had our first experience with urgent care and stitches for one of the girls yesterday. Guess who? Those of you that know us are probably wondering what Jayden did since she's our monkey. But, it was Miya (although she says it's Jades'fault). We were at the grocery store and were about 1/4 of the way done with groceries. I needed a lot of groceries so I put Melanie's carseat in the front of the cart where Jayden usually sits and let Jayden and Miya walk....together (I learned my lesson). They were mucking around and before I knew it Jayden had dropped a glass jar of something (sauerkraut maybe?), Miya with her cat-like reflexes tried to pick it up before mom could see they dropped something and sliced her hand on a piece of glass before she realized it was broken. She's crying and mom is spinning in circles wondering what the next step should be. I wrapped her hand in a clean spit rag and told her to quit crying, she was fine (I had no idea how deep the cut was-poor kid). So we haul off to the bathroom (on the opposite end of the store) after informing an employee of "clean-up on isle 5". When we rinsed her hand off I started to wonder if stitches were needed but decided to finish our grocery adventure. This time with a new seating chart. Miya in the cart with her hand wrapped in a bloody spit rag hanging out the side (we were quite the sight). My goal was to get groceries as quickly as possible which we were doing, that is until we saw a very friendly lady that wanted to comfort Miya and then tell us all about her life. We were polite, but looking for anyway to sprint through the rest of our groceries. On our way out the door I asked a fellow mom if she thought this cut would need stitches since I had no clue. With one look she said "yup".

So we headed right to the Dr. right? ? Nope, we brought the groceries home first so they wouldn't spoil. And since we couldn't get in at her peds office I knew we'd probably be at urgent care for awhile and little Melanie was out of milk. Once we dropped the groceries and retrieved the milk we were off for an afternoon of WAITING. Miya did great. We made a big deal of her getting to be the "patient" this time (she's had lots of hospital experience). She got to sit on the bed by herself AND watch TV. She was very excited about this but was wondering when they were going to bring food for the tray by the bed :)

Getting the actual stitches didn't go so great. I'm not sure if her poor little hand wasn't numb or if she was freaked out by the scissors. But that is something I don't ever want to experience again. I'm so thankful Melanie was so tiny with all of her pokes and procedures and couldn't say "mom no, no mom" over and over again.

Once we were done (and waited some more) it was off to the ice cream shop for superman ice cream, instead of supper.

Id' like to say all ended well, but there was one more incident at the Westra household before bedtime. Bath time!! Many of you know that the girls tend to poop in the tub. They haven't done it for a very long time, until last night. Miya had to go; I was changing Melanie and told her to hold it. Well she took that in the literal sense and made a mess on her stitched hand. EWWWW! There were lots of tears from the Westra girls over the next 20min, excluding only Jayden. We'll be keeping a close eye on those stitches for infection.

Thankfully the girls ALL went to bed well, not even one reminder to quit talking. Yesterday was a day I don't want to repeat, but I am able to look at it today and laugh. I know there will be a time when I miss crazy days like these, so for now I'll enjoy them as much as I can.
Watching Curious George
Feeling pretty good after hand was numbed.
Before the cut was cleaned.
After the 4 stitches were completed. She called them "those black pokes"

Her smiles are back. She's excited because she gets to keep the bracelet.

6 comments:

Jeanine said...

NICKI!! I feel so bad for you! What a fiasco of a day! I can just picture you with your grocery cart filled and the 3 girls:) And poor Miya! Glad to hear that Miya was such a trooper and hope that her hand heals quickly!

Heidi said...

Not fun!! Poor miya. At least you can laugh about it today!

Unknown said...

Our kids were impressed with the size of the cut! I hope it heals quickly for her (and you!) Love the pictures!

Anonymous said...

Hope Miya heals quick! We remeber (very well) when Carson ended up in ER for stitches in his cheek. I decided to stay in while they put the stiches in and just about lost it when he kept SCREAMING for me to help him =(. Very traumatic experience to have to deal with--don't think my heart stopped racing for days!
You must be Wonder Woman to be able to take three little kids shopping with you! =)
Brenda T.

ComputerBackpack said...

awe. beautiful family...

Jodi said...

I makes it worth it, just to get those funny bandaids! Maybe not so much. Glad everything worked out.

Jodi