Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Yet another first!


We praise the Lord AGAIN today as Melanie hit another milestone. On Sunday, her nurse told us to expect to start trying Melanie nursing and bottle feeding in a couple of weeks....well...she drank from a bottle today! Sucking and swallowing is a very complicated thing for preemies to do. They often take a while to get the hang of it. So the doc of the day decided to start Melanie on this process today by allowing her to give a shot at nursing/bottle feeding. Much to everyone's surprise she decided she really liked it. I started with nursing but the feeding tube seemed to be in the way even though she was 'trying' to suck, so we tried a bottle. They put 27ml (a full feeding for Melanie) in a bottle expecting her to nuzzle at it or at the best maybe drink a couple ml. Melanie drank all but 3 1/2 ml. YEAH Melanie. The nurse figured she drooled 5-10ml out due to her feeding tube. She LOVED drinking from her bottle. She was alert the whole time and making those cute little noises babies make when they are eating. Since she did so well they are going to move her feeding tube from her mouth to her nose so we can try nursing again. We are so thankful God has blessed Melanie with this new victory in her development. We also know that everything happens according to His plan. It may very well be she won't drink from a bottle again for a week. We'll keep trying, and understand while we try, that all things happen according to God's plan and not our own.

After feeding Melanie her bottle I had to burp her. I had to ask the nurse all kinds of questions about burping. What position, how hard, how long if she doesn't burp. So I hoisted her up over my shoulder and began patting(it felt like pounding) her chest. This was an emotional time for me as I realized our little peanut is going to be coming home, the Lord willing. I don't think about her coming home very often because it feels so far away. Today, while burping Melanie it hit me right between the eyes that the day is quickly approaching and I can say I'm excited for it. After patting her back trying to get a burp I realized she is not as fragile as she was 6 weeks ago. I can rub her fingers and toes now, I can talk to her without her stats dropping, I can change her diaper without worrying if I'll pull her hip out of place. I can even take her out of her bed by myself (with permission :) ) Yes, I know she is still a preemie and is very fragile, especially when it comes to sicknesses. But now I look at her as OUR little baby that I can't wait to take home; not as the baby in the NICU that we'll take home someday. Who knew burping could be such a bonding experience!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the picture of you and Melanie together, Nicki. You look very happy on there. How nice you could feed your own daughter. Some good bonding time.

God is good.

MTB

Unknown said...

WOW!!! Like I said a little show-off is a good thing!!! So happy for you!
Love Kevin and Leesa

Glenda said...

Melanie that bottle is bigger than your head peanut!!!! I'm glad you decided to not let that bother you and suck that bottle gone!!
What a fun day!!! (maybe not so fun for you Melanie when dad gave it a try...:) Give him some time I guess!!
Glad to see another hurdle is behind you!! Hope things continue to go well for you all!! Take care!
Glenda