Thursday, January 21, 2010

Adjusting


Everyone here is still adjusting to being home together. We are very excited to be home as a complete family...well most of us anyway. Tuesday morning at breakfast Miya had a question for me. "Mommy, can I have another baby sister?" I about choked on my cereal and then reminded her that Melanie was home just sleeping in the crib, thinking she forgot about her. "No mom, I want ANOTHER baby sister." I asked her why. "Cause I want you and daddy to go to the hospital for long times so I can play with my friends." I guess we don't have to worry if the girls had fun while we were at the hospital. I do think it's taking Miya a little longer to adjust simply due to the fact that she wants to go, go, go and now we are stuck, stuck, stuck! I really thought Jayden would have her toes stepped on with Melanie needing more attention, however, she is doing great. I haven't really noticed any jealousy from her. That might yet come as Melanie gets a little older. As of now, they LOVE having Melanie home. Miya is always asking to hold her (so that also means Jades does too). While Miya is holding her she can't stop giving her kisses. It's the cutest thing! And Jayden just wants to show her to everyone. Be warned, if you walk into our house, Jayden will grab your hand, pull you to Melanies's bedroom, saying "elanie, elanie, elanie" the the whole way (weather she knows you or not). As for Melanie, she left the hospital Thursday at 5 lbs and 3/4oz. Saturday morning she weighed 5 lbs 1oz. Growth, but not exceptional. On Monday a home-health nurse came out for a weight check and she weighed in at a WHOPPING 5lbs 5oz. Exceptional!! Yeah Mealanie, that's a 'rate of gain' of 2+ oz a day. I think she is LOVING her new surroundings and knows she's HOME! Here is a little video of what Melanie has to sleep through. We are truly blessed with three little girls that absolutly LOVE eachother! I'm so excited to watch them grow-up together.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

So cute! You are truly blessed!!!

Glenda said...

The movie and picutres melt my heart!! The girls are so sweet!! I can't believe how much Jayden is talking!! Glad Melanie is growing so well!! Way to go peanut!! (and mom!!!) Praying things continue to go smoothly for you all!
Love you!
Glenda

Anonymous said...

Jeff and Nikki, I am so happy to see you together at home as a family! I loved the 2-way projectile story. I'm impressed you were still laughing when it was all done! Keep up the good work. Give Melanie a kiss from me:) Love and prayers, Kelly RN

Jodi said...

Glad the adjusting is going well! I can't believe how big Melaine is getting. Hope things are going well.
Jodi

Sue said...

Just checked this in about 3 weeks time. WOW! Congrats on having her home! Amazing! I'm sure life with a NICU grad is starting to sink in more and more, but she's an amazing little girl and an inspiration to me! Thanks for sharing your life over the last while and enjoy every second! What a beautiful family you have!
Hugs and prayers to you! -Sue Nykamp and boys