Monday, January 18, 2010

:) you design your own picture

Dad here again...just an update of how things are going in the Westra household now that Melanie is home. I have to tell you, its been very good having everyone home. Today was Nickis first day at home by herself with all three girls, so I think she was looking for help when I got home. However, when I got home, the trooper she was said the day went really good. Miya and Jayden are turning out to be really good big sisters already. As long as everyone is getting naps, everyone is happy.

So Im thinking, after tonite, we are better off keeping dad away. The reason I say this is because when I got home today, I started helping...and here is where all the problems began. It was actually quite hilarious...so funny, we were laughing throughout the whole time. This is where your imagination gets to draw your own picture in your head.

Phase one:...Melanie has a terribly smelly diaper at 6:00 pm. Dad decides he will tackle this diaper as mom is clearing the dishes from eating supper (...or dinner, I guess all you backwards Michigan people call it around here...note: this is the only thing I havent gotten used to since I moved to Michigan :) Miya and Jayden are already cleaned up, so we set two chairs up by Melanies changing table so the girls could stand on them....Miya near Melanies head, Jayden near Melanies rear, to watch dad change the diaper........let me just take a step back at this point and tell you Jayden had a rough nite up to this point due to her lack of eating earlier that evening. She had many tears, cried hard, and was very tired.

Phase two:...Miya and Jayden are both standing on their chairs talking to Melanie and watching as dad begins taking Melanies clothes off in preparation for the ultimate diaper. Dad takes the diaper off, quickly wipes Melanie down, and puts the wipe in the diaper...(let me just tell you my mindset as this is all going on...Melanie has a problem...seems that every time we change a dirty diaper, she decides it feels good to be clean, and makes a dirty diaper again, almost immediately after we get her out of the 1st one....dad, knowing this, knew he didnt have much time to get the other diaper into place)

Phase three:...dad doesnt get the clean diaper up to Melanies rear end quite in time. Infants, especially on breast milk, have a tendency to have a little less than solid BM when they are this young. This being the case, I managed to deflect the projectile mass before it went all the way across the room. This deflection left some projectile on my hands, on the outside of what had been a clean diaper, and, you guessed it....all over the changing table.

Phase four:...Jayden is now the topic of discussion. Melanie's projectile, with all of its force, made quite a noise, scaring the heebeejeebees out of her big sister Jayden, especially after seeing the mess that was made, and she promptly began running in place on her chair, screaming at the top of her lungs wondering what had just happened. Jayden...in a nutshell....flipped out.

Phase five:...this is a problem...as you may recall from phase three, some of this projectile landed on my hands. This makes removing Jayden from the scene of the incident...all but impossible. Again, as you may recall, Nicki is, what seemed like a lifetime away from us in the kitchen. Upon hearing all the screaming hysteria from Jayden; the yelling 'DADDY DADDY!!! MELANIE POOPED!!' from Miya; and a dad who is just laughing and trying to keep himself together, much less his 3 girls who are all within a foot of him, Nicki slowly begins making her way to Melanies room. Mind you, Jayden is still running in place at this time. There is no way I am moving her with the amount of feces on my hands.

Phase six:...Enters Nicki...She grabs Jayden, who is nearly hallucinating at this time. While she tries to begin the process of calming Jayden, I begin the clean up process. There is BM everywhere. The way it looked to me, if this kid drinks 50 mls at every feeding, there is 49 of them that come out her rear end by the time the next feeding time shows up three hours later. As I begin the cleaning process, I hear a very familiar sound in the background. It seems to be coming from Jayden. The reason it sounded so familiar, is because I used to make these very same noises when Miya was a baby, and I got stuck changing her diaper. The noise, is nearly the same noise you would hear if you stuck your fingers in the back of your throat and played tug of war with your droopy. ( I call this your droopy...Im not sure what the real name is...its the dangling thing that comes down just above your tongue in the back of your throat) I dont recommend trying to make this noise, so if you havent heard it....its a very loud gagging cough.

Stage seven:...As I get most of Melanies BM cleaned, and begin to take the second diaper off to replace it with the third clean one, Jaydens coughing and gaggin comes to an end....why you ask??? You guessed it, she had worked herself up so much, she made her own projectile which came out of her mouth. Supper (or dinner) was shooting everywhere. It was at this point that I was happy she didnt eat so well. Not nearly as much food came out. However, once was not enough for Jayden.

Stage eight:...Since Jayden had worked herself up so well, she decided that once was not enough. The first projectile landed on the floor, however, Nicki got in the way of the second....and the third. Problem...we have Jayden still screaming, BM still on the changing table and on Melanies clothes, and Nicki and Jayden are stained with supper.

Stage nine:...not to be outdone, the baby of the family decides, since she started it all, she had probably finish it too. This is where the laughter really got going. I was cracking up pretty good when Melanie decided to...you guessed it, add to the mess she started with. And, since I hadnt learned my lesson the first time, the diaper still wasnt completely closed, and made more messes on the table...and...uh huh, my hand.

All of this happened in a matter of about a minute. Now, nearly four hours later, I am typing this, still smiling at how Miya held herself together so well. She gave the commentary on the whole deal. It was hilarious! Melanie now sits on my lap, clueless to the who ordeal, Miya and Jayden are upstairs in bed, and the house is sanitised. No one is sick, its just what happens when you turn diaper changing into a spectator sport I guess.

Hope you enjoyed yourselves at our expense! :)

Here is a picture to keep your tastebuds wet for tomorrow. No worries, I would never take a picture of tonites events!

Cya!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Too funny! Too bad you didn't have a video camera rolling. You could've won some cash - if they even still do that! :-)

Glad things are going well!!!

Tania

Mazurek said...

I am sorry, but I am laughing so hard because this is something that our kids do all the time. Emma dry heaves everytime Kaylee has a BM and we change her diaper. I am glad to hear that we are not the only family that has this issue.

Brenda said...

Jeff, I have to say I am very proud of you for holding it all together! I think I remember a story of you as a new dad changing Miya at a restaurant and not handling it so well.... Great improvement!! Very impressive! Would loved to have been a fly on the wall tonight :)
Brenda

Anonymous said...

LOL thanks Jeff ;), I somewhat feel your pain. Just in my case it is 2 babies doing those things at the same time, especially the puke! Paige cleared the coffee table today!I think I change my clothes as much as I change theirs. OH well

Heather P

Glenda said...

I am still laughing about this post, and I read it last night!! I am getting such a great mental picture of it all!! Poor Jayden, a gagger like her dad!! You guys are great! I'm not so sure I would have been laughing at the end of that one! :) Way to go Nicki, you super star, staying home with all of the girls by yourself all day!! Glad it went well!!
Thanks for the good laugh!!
Miss you all lots, love you!
Glenda

Anonymous said...

Note to self: Do not read the Westra Blog's at work. I am crying at my desk of laughter!! Thanks I needed that!

Renee Marcusse

Unknown said...

Jeff, you're a great writer. I love reading this. And I thought dinner was the noon meal on Sunday :)