Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Tomorrow's THE day!!

The exciting news....... Melanie is coming home tomorrow, the Lord willing. All things are a go. All of her tests have come back with astounding reports. The Lord has been so gracious to Melanie and our family through this all. 10 1/2 weeks ago, I never imagined I would be taking home a perfect (as perfect as a baby can be :) )baby girl. I never imagined we'd be going home without oxygen tanks and monitors. I never imagined Melanie would be able to be a runner if she wanted to. And yet, here we are. Going home tomorrow with no monitors, no oxygen, no medications, and no more cords. We know there is only one reason for Melanie to be able to come home this way, it's nothing we did, or the nurses did, or the Dr.s did. It's because it is the plan that God has for Melanie's life. On October 31, He already knew Melanie would be leaving this hospital on January 14. I NEVER would have guessed that. There were times when I didn't even want to think about tomorrow; just wanted to hold (cup) Melanie for as long as I could not knowing what the tomorrow might bring. It was at those times that we had to have faith that God's plan was being carried out. And now, looking back at those times, I can see how He carried me through even though I may not have felt it then. I don't understand why Melanie gets to come home before some of her veteran roommates; or why she seems to be unscathed while others have many more ailments to deal with. All we know is that all things happen according to His plan and some day, we'll understand. I need to remember that on a daily, sometimes hourly, basis.

Yes, we are very excited for our baby girl to come home and start a new routine. Yes, there will be tears tonight and tomorrow. Tears of joy and some tears of sadness as we say 'goodbye' to the nurses and Dr.s and friends that took such good care of our little peanut and of us.
Before Melanie is able to come home she must pass the "car seat challenge". She has to sit in her car seat, completely buckled, for 90 miutes (longer if we lived further away). She passed!!! She also thought she had to be awake for most of it. She kept looking around and sucking on her hands. I'll keep trying to post the video of it. Sitting in her car seat she actually looks OLDER to me then Miya and Jayden did when we took them home from the hospital. Probably because she was so alert at the time.

16 comments:

Brenda said...

Oh Nicki! That video is precious!!! She shouldn't have been able to change that much already! She is perfectly adorable! We are so happy for you and Jeff and the girls! What a blessing!
Brenda

Amanda said...

Congratulations! I am so happy to hear the wonderful news! What an AWESOME God we serve!

I've kept up with little Melanie's updates from the beginning and have been praying that you would see this day come! Your blogs have continued to give me perspective especially on days (such as today) when I get frustrated with my children over little things. I'd like to thank you both for your words from the heart as you have watched your little one get to this incredible milestone!

Make sure to keep updating in the months ahead for those of us so far away. We will be keeping you and your family in our thoughts and prayers during this exciting time. May God bless you and keep you.

Andy & Amanda Moss & family

Heidi said...

Wonderful news!!! So happy for you all. Love the video, she is so precious!

Jeff B said...

Fantastic!

Jane Rietman said...

Jeff & Nicki,
Congratulations! She is precious!

teresa said...

Congratulations! This is such a great (and scary) day. and NO monitors. Yeah! Almost 10 years ago when we left NIM seems like yesterday.
Have been keeping up with your blog and have cried regularly at your witness and emotions, and laughed at the premie moments.
Will continue to pray for Melanie continued growth and development.

Jeanine said...

YEAH! We are so excited! I can't believe how big she's getting...she looks so 'grown up' in her car seat!
Jeanine

Unknown said...

So Happy for you! I pray your first night home is not to trying. Congratulations
Love Kevin and Leesa

justamomandhertwins said...

I can't believe it!!! in a good way of course!!! I will tell you about the being alert.....I think you will see that she will be much more alert than the other girls were. I have noticed that with the twins. They still do sleep alot but when they are awake they have bright, wide eyes. I hope all goes well for you all. God Bless

Anonymous said...

To God be the glory! Great things He has done!
So glad to hear that Melanie is going home today!!

Take care ~
Matt & Jodee, and family

Glenda said...

WAAAHOOOO!!! GO MELANIE!! She is so adorable in that car seat. Those pictures melt my heart! SO excited for you all!! I really can't believe this part of your journey is through! I am so glad! I hope today goes better than you ever expect!
Love you all!
Glenda

Anonymous said...

God is Good all the time, All the time God is Good!!!!!
We are praising God with you, I have tears in my eyes as I type this. We are so happy and thankful to our most powerful God.
With love
Randy and Renee Marcusse

Anonymous said...

A couple of words from Miya and Jayden:

I love Melanie. I can't wait for her to be here! Love, Miya

,b,hhmk7jhkm,7jm,77777777777777j vmmv nnyhb6tntbgb vy bom,l nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn hhhhh7
(I think what Jayden was trying to say is: Come home quickly, but safely)
The girls are soooo excited for Melanie to come home at any moment!

Unknown said...

Congratulations!! I am so excited that she is coming home to be with her family. Praise God!

Anonymous said...

AWESOME!! She looks so perfect! Praise God, for he is faithful!! We will continue to pray the transition goes well!! Thank you for your continue posts!!

Miss you,

The Henevelds
(clayton)

The Mazeikis' said...

I can't believe how big she looks!!!! She almost looks chubby :) What awesome news that she gets to go home.
Love
Dawn