Thursday, January 28, 2010

Dr. Appointments

Okay, a very quick post for now. Melanie had an audiology appointment yesterday for a re-check of her ears. While at Devos she passed one ear and failed the other. The nurses there though it may be because she was on oxygen. Well, that seems to be the case because she passed both ears within 2 min of the test. I was very relieved as this was a test I was very anxious for her to have since we left the hospital. She also had another check of her eyes (a weekly test while in the hospital). After waiting for over an hour and a half the doctor looked at her eyes for 1 min (I'm NOT exaggerating even a little) he said there was no change. This means her eyes are still at a level 2. He assured me no change is good at this point. As long as her eyes don't go to a level three we'll just keep checking them EVERY week. This could continue till she's 44 weeks (gestation). Typically babies eyes are not developed until 4 weeks after their born(currently she is 39 weeks gestation). All in all, a very good day! We continue to see the Lord's blessings as Melanie develops. It amazes me how perfectly God has created our bodies to form and develop inside the womb. There are so many little things that have to grow at specific times that I have never even though of. I simply took for granted a baby develops and then is born healthy. I have taken so much for granted with my 'normal' pregnancy's. Watching Melanie grow has opened my eyes to so much more and caused me to be thankful each and every day for the little (big) steps Melanie is making.

As for Melanie's weight. As of Tuesday she weighed 5lbs and 13oz. I think she may be having a growth spurt today. She ate every two hours last night. Maybe she was just hungry from her busy day yesterday. :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just curious if it was Dr. Droste that saw Melanie for her eyes? We had the same experience in his dr's office...you wait forever and a day, then when you FINALLY get to see him, you're in his chair for about 45 seconds. Feels VERY much not worth it {but it is} :)
I think Joelle got up to Stage II ROP but she came out of it without any problems. Hopefully Melanie will be the same!
Good to hear that she's doing so well and gaining weight! Praising God with you for His very fearfully and very wonderfully made children!!!
Dena

Mazurek said...

I can attest to the lengthy wait at the eye doctor. We have Dr. Margherio come into our office in holland on Fridays and those poor people wait forever, and just like you say you are in for 1 min (at the most) and away you go. I asked the nurse about that one time and she explained that the eyes need to dilate so the doc can get a good look in the back of the eye. The larger the pupil the easier to see in. But most of the time they are just running behind. That is great news that she is staying at stage II, and that she is growing she will catch up with miya and jayden soon enough.

Anonymous said...

Good to see a Blog again. No news in good news. It is amazing how fast she is growing now.

God is good.

MTB

Jeff and Nicki Westra said...

Sara, can you send me your e-mail address to jeffwestra11@yahoo.com. We also see Dr. Margherio just in GR on East paris...would love to switch to holland!!! Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I can relate about both the ears and the eyes. Brady Failed on one side in the hospital so we had to schedule an outside app. Which we went to and then he passed in the side he had failed in and failed in the side he had previously passed in. Back to GR we go again. Couples months though. And the eye appointment is my most dreaded. You do wait a minimum of a hour for the eyes to dialate. You just didn't think it was that long cause the nurses did it for us!! Yet another thing I miss about the NICU. Granted I do not miss much but the eye appointments I do. We also have to go a good distance away. We live 25 minutes from the main hub of town and the office we have to go to is on the other side of town about 45 minutes away. But thankfully last time we went they said not to come back for 6 wks! Hang in there!

Heather P