Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Bed-Time Prayers

**forewarning** Emotional, hormonal, momma blogging when should be sleeping! I'm not trying to offend anyone, just missing my little girls!

Now I lay me down to sleep
I pray the Lord my soul to keep
If I should die before I wake
I pray the Lord my soul to take...

How many times have I said that prayer in my life? As a child and now as a mommy with my girls. How many times while tucking-in Miya and Jayden did I think and say "ok, lets hurry up and say prayers you need to go sleep"? Tonight was my first night holding Melanie's hand while saying "Now I lay me..." with her. What a humbling experience. The prayer that I so often say yet rarely really think about hit me square in the eyes! I can't wait to tuck in Miya and Jayden again (and Melanie) and treasure all of the stalling, questions, re-tucking, endless drinks of water, and bed-time stories. But most importantly, to treasure that prayer time with them, as simple as it may seem. Give all of your little ones an extra hug tonight!

Miya meeting her babysister.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Jeff and Nicki,
Miya looks so tender being so careful with her tiny baby sister, what a good big sister she is! I can't do anything around the house without thinking about you guys know that you are in out thoughts and prayers. Kevin and Leesa

Anonymous said...

NICKI!!!!!! GO TO BED!!!!!!! Im at home thinking to myself, you better say your prayers ang go to sleep :) I love you. Just re-tucked in the girls. Miya is pretty excited about tomorrow. Both of them got a kiss from Melanie and mom. I think they were alert enough to remember....and by the way, thanks for the tears...I hadnt hit my quota for the day yet..you put me over...I love you

Jeff (Dad)

Donna said...

I just love this picture of Miya with Melanie!! Thanks for sharing your hearts with us! You are continually in our thoughts and prayers. Hope to talk to you this afternoon. Know the everlasting arms of God are surrounding you and all your family. Love you guys!

The VanderZwaags said...

continuing to pray! It is amazing how precious life is...I read the blog and think to myself even when Morgan is driving me nuts (or wide awake at 6:30!) I'm thankful!
We pray today for strength for Melanie (as well as you and Jeff!) We also pray for the doctors and nurses that are taking care of all the little babies up there!

Anonymous said...

Jeff, Nicki and the girls,
You are in our prayers. Is there anything Katie and I can do to help? I read in one of the posts that you need us to pray for patience...I'll do that, but I have to let you know that comment made me smile. It's got to be tough not to be able to "fix it". Mark

Anonymous said...

Nicki,
God is watching over your little one... Jesus loves the little children. I know what you mean about these kinds of situations making you cherish every moment with your children. They are God's little blessings and a Mommy's love is so deep for her children from the second they are born! I am sure Melanie can feel your love for her! We are praying for you guys and hoping for smooth days ahead.

Love, Serena Langston

Anonymous said...

Jeff & Nicki,

Constantly thinking of you guys! Many prayers for you both, and Melanie. Everything you write is SO familiar; we've both cried for you guys. God is our strength and refuge, a very present help in trouble.

Peter & Christiana

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear that last night and this am went well. You're doing great, some spelling issues but we'll work on that(Echodensity Peritrigonal parenchyma)....haha!
Anne

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder nicki! Love you guys!! Ben and Emily