Saturday, November 7, 2009

Cuddle Time

What an amazing couple of hours!! I remember vividly, when they threw Miya on my chest immediately after I delivered her. I can honestly say I was a little grossed out and very overwhelmed. With Jayden, I knew what to expect a little more and enjoyed it a little more. After the took Melanie out, I was totally lost! I didn't know where to look or what to do or even what I should be feeling. I knew I couldn't hold her, but I thought I would at least be able to see her. All I saw were Jeff's red eyes and his unsureness of where to be; holding my puke bucket or watching over the doctors shoulders. I remember feeling guilty for wanting to hold her for just a second before the Dr.s whisked her away. I also remember just wanting to quit puking for awhile.

Well, today was a little different. I walked into the nursery this morning crying sad tears. Jane filled me in on Melanie's stats...all good and then said they were going to pull out one of her stomach lines which meant I would be able to hold her. Then came the tears of joy. So all day I kept watching the clock, waiting for 6:00 to roll around. Jeff and I ate supper in about 15 min tonight. It may have had something to do with the fact we didn't have to keep telling Miya to talk a little less and eat a little more :) When the time came I was anxious how Melanie would respond to me. Would she have a bunch of Brady's, would her stats go down? Would she not want me to hold her? Cast your cares to the Lord was the little voice inside my head. And then it went really fast, Jane was handing her to me and I could no longer wonder. Brady or not, she was in my arms and on my chest. It was the most amazing feeling. Holding something you have been so anxiously awaiting. Being able to show your love to that tiny little person. For just a couple seconds, I felt like everything was right; that I could fix her pain and suffering. I felt for the first time like Melanie's Mother. My heart goes out to all those Mothers out there that aren't able to hold their babies. Know you are in my prayers.

She was so precious. I had a hand under her bottom, but it really wasn't her bottom. It was her diaper!! I was cupping her diaper cause she has no butt. Not sure if it's a Westra trait or part of being a preemie :) She had some twitches and movements and it really felt like I was still pregnant and she was just kicking around in the womb. I'm so thankful that God has brought Melanie's health to a place we are able to hold her. I'm thankful God has given me the ability to feel touch. I'm thankful I could smell her stinky breath, and watch her stats be perfect for awhile, and to not hear a machine beep for just a little bit. To be in total contentment! I can't wait for daddy to hold her tomorrow!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Jeff and Nicki

Very happy to hear you got to hold your daughter today. MAYBE tomorrow, Jeff it will be your turn!!! Thinking of you all the time. Very thankful Melanie is doing well.

Have a wonderful Sabbath day.

Bern and Marcia TB

Glenda said...

Oh Nicki, what a beautiful picture!! I can see your love pouring out from behind that mask!!! She looks so perfectly content there, safe in the arms of her wonderful very proud mommy! So glad that you could finally get to hold Melanie. Give her a real hug from all of us here in Iowa since you can finally do that now! We love you!
Glenda

Michelle Bjork said...

Oh, this is wonderful!!! You got to hold her!! I am so happy for you. The picture speaks a thousand words, all happy and full of love. I thought about you guys ALL DAY and was so excited when I got home and checked the blog. YEAH!!!!

Brenda said...

YEA!!! 2 hours?!? That is incredible! This was the best news and picture this "Melanie-stalker" could have heard and seen to start out a beautiful Sabbath day! Thanks for sharing!
Brenda

Glenn and Barb said...

What a great update..thanks for taking the time to post pictures & info. It helps us know better how to pray for you guys and understand some of the emotions & feelings you experience. Cuddle time...what a sweet blessing from God...so precious! Enjoy this beautiful day...it is a gift. love, Glenn & Barb

Overways said...

Hi Jeff and Nicki
We are so very happy for you with the progress Melanie is making! This is just incredible news!

May the LORD bless you with a wonderful Sabbath Day - we missed you at church but know that you are where you need to be right now!

Love to all of you,
Brent and Wilma

Renee Breuker said...

Yea!!! I am so happy you got to hold your beautiful baby girl! What a special moment! Thanks for sharing this special time with us! Keeping you all in our thoughts and prayers!
Bryan, Renee, Dakota, and Colten

Anonymous said...

What an amazing experience! I can't even imagine. i'm so glad that things are going well enough where you were able to hold little melanie. we are constantly praying for you guys, for patience and for melanie to grow and to develop, so that one day the Lord willing you will be able to take her home and hold her as much as you want! I hope today is going just as well!
Erin Drnek

katlyn said...

Nicki It is great to see you smile kind of :). The one thing I wont to say to you and Jeff is remember that God does not give us moor then we can handle.