Wednesday, November 11, 2009

WOW!!!

Dad here again.....gotta tell you, the place to be on the 2nd Wednesday of every month, is at Spectrum Hospital. All I can say, is WOW! Let me 'splane'.

So, I scored my 2nd date of the week already...how many guys are jealous of that?! 1st, I took my wife out for pizza, then, I paid for a massage for her :) What a guy your thinkin, right...yeah...thats what I thought, too. Looks really good from a 10,000 foot view, now, lets zoom into the details:

1)TOOK MY WIFE OUT FOR PIZZA : Alright, so looking at it a little closer, Nicki and I came to the hospital because there was a parent night pizza party. Volunteers from the March of Dimes bought us parents pizza, and gave us about a 45 minute talk on cleanliness and prevention of sickness in our premature babies. This was really good. They gave us a lot of things to think about, especially coming into the heart of flu season, and our children having terrible immune systems. So, dont beat me up on this, Im just telling you what the MEAN NURSES SAID!!! I REPEAT...THIS IS NOT JEFF AND NICKI'S RULE (well maybe it is because they told us we should) Im the messanger here, but especially since we are sharing a room with 7 other babies, we have to be really careful who comes in to visit Melanie. Due to all the people coming into the hospital right now, they are telling us that our visitors shouldnt come if they have a house full of sick people, or if they are getting over a cold, sniffles, or cough...so...just beware, if youre heading this way, make sure youre healthY, cuz the mean nurses are gonna be asking :) They really arent mean, but they tell us to say that so you dont make us the mean people :) Please dont take this as we cant have visitors...if you are healthy, come on out...we love visitors! We have probably 3 months here, so if anyone is kinda sick, maybe waiting a few days would be better.

Anyway, getting back to how much of a GREAT husband I was for tonites date...

2) I PAID FOR A MASSAGE....technically, I kinda paid for her massage...if it wasnt for me, she probably wouldnt have been at the hospital to get this massage. Digging a little deeper into the story, students studying massage therapy come to the hospital once a month to put hours into their practice. They get paid just as much for this as I get paid for being such an amazing golfer...nothing. Its a win, win for everyone...the students get their required hours, and we get 15 minutes in a chair getting a really good massage, and the cool part is, there were 5 chairs in the room, so Nicki and I could go together....a little note on this though, when I walked in, a guy came walking up to me, followed by a girl...he introduced himself, and he apparently had something in mind that I didnt. He thought he was gonna give me a massage....I quickly introduced him to my wife, and said hello to the girl walking behind him...(there is something in this Iowa farm boy that just dont do dudes rubbing my back)

Following this amazing massage, I walked up to Melanies bed, and had a little skin to skin time...about an hour and 15 minutes worth, and let me tell you something about this Iowa farm boy again...when his kids sleep on his chest, he sleeps too...and he sleeps hard....ok, I guess I was snoring...thats what the mean nurses told me :)

Melanie is doing great tonite...shes eating again, which seems to be going well.

Nicki and I are going home to bed!!! I think we'll be sleeping before 11!!! Its been a long time since we went to bed before 11...Talk to you tomorrow...

Have a great night!

9 comments:

Jodi said...

Sounded like a very relaxing evening for the both of you, you deserve it. Hope you have a good nights rest. Nicki, see you tomorrow!!

Jodi

Brenda said...

Wow! That is awesome! Jeff, thanks for bypassing the "dude" - I think that mental image would have haunted many of us for years to come! I love those nurses! They will do anything to protect those precious little babies, huh? Stay strong.
the Pastoors

Renee said...

Thank you both for the updates, and praising God for the positive news!! Take Care.

Randy and Renee

Deane and Donna said...

Jeff, Jeff, Jeff...you had me laughing so hard this morning!! I am so glad you have a sense of humor through this all. I know you have been challenged but both of you are doing so well through this all. God is so good to give us grace sufficient for each day. We are so thankful for the good news you have been given this week. These updates are the lifeline for so many of us. Thanks for "talking" to us so often. Have I mentioned how much we all love you guys??!!

jodi said...

Jeff, you have me cracking up here! I would've loved to see your face as you realized a guy was going to give you a massage:) So glad to hear that Melanie is continuing to do well - and yes, I agree with those "mean" nurses... keep those germs away. Thanks for the constant updates - hopefully we keep hearing such positive ones about Melanie. Praying for you guys!

Jeanine said...

Jeff Your sense of humor has not disappeared:D Glad you had another good night with Melanie. Looking forward to seeing Nicki and the girls today!

Renee Breuker said...

Sounds like you two had a great night! I hope you had a great night sleep to top it off!

MoDLin said...

Thanks for all those chuckles!!! It's so good to hear your good news about Melanie. Glad you benefitted from the March of Dimes talk and pizza. Wishing Malanie continued daily progress.

Anonymous said...

What an amazing message! Good that humor plays such an important role in your outlook. I know that it comes in handy. What a blessing. We are thinking of you and your two little ones at home, as well as the one at the hospital. Sleep tight, everyone...
The LeFaives