Saturday, November 21, 2009

Busy day

I'll begin with an update on Melanie. She is doing great again today. Her oxygen settings are real low which is good. She has been running in between 25-35% most of the day. Shes keeping food down, and overall, looks very good again today. Shes off her Fentinal (sp??) which was her pain killer from her chest tube she had in. It appears she is getting back to normal having that off. Shes doing a lot of kicking and moving around. She reminds me a lot of the way Jayden sleeps. All sprawled out and not really cuddling. Nicki said she didnt want to be touched this morning which could have been from coming off the fentinal, but this afternoon when I got there, it didnt seem to bother her. She is digesting her food quite real well, so we'll just keep feeding her! She seems a little fuller than she has in the past which is good, although, Im kind of with Nicki...shes growing I think, and although she has to, Im not always a fan of kids growing up, especially when we dont get time to hold her anymore due to her jet ventilator.

My morning was a lot of fun. We had a crew come over to our house to help with some fall around the house work. I will be posting some of the pictues I took of this, but I cant tell you how helpful it was to have people come over and help get things tidied up before winter. They did a lot: cleaned the garage, cleaned the basement of our house that I hate so much, trimmed some tree limbs that needed to come down, put up a new mailbox post for the snow plows to break, took the screens out, put the kids toys in the barn so they can take them back out on Monday, moved our decrepid refrigerator that was in the garage that came in on the ark, put some facia cover on a couple of areas on our house, and got rid of a whole lot of mouse poop that was layin around in the garage...and maybe in some areas of our house. (So Im hoping that last comment doesnt detour people from coming to our house...know this: they are hybrid mice...the kind that look our dog in the eyes and laugh, the kind that attack mouse traps filled with peanut butter by doing a summersault back flip, ripping the peanut butter out of the trap with their teeth while they are airborn, leaving the poor traps stunned at their catlike speed and reflexes...and they forget to catch them)

These people were amazing. It only took 2 hours, and I am sooooo thankful they came and helped out. All this would have taken me days, but with the help of our tree trimmin, construction workin, broom pushin, basement cleanin, toy movin, mouse tird terrorizin people Ive ever seen! Thanks again for the help everyone.

I have a request as I type this tonite, and I want you to know that it is a bit embarrasing, knowing there are a lot of people reading this. I hope I dont offend my wife by writing this, but I want you to know that we are human, and humans need prayer. So, here goes...It seems that Melanie is improving like crazy, but the busyness and stressfulness of having an infant in the hospital is taking a bit of a toll on her mom and dad, and I'm largely, if not, exclusively, the problem. We've had a couple of scuffs over the last few days, and I havent been trying hard enough to fix these problems. Ive been a bit synical, and there is no room for that, so please pray for me to be the spiritual, loving, leading, head of our house as I know I need to be. Pray that my heart doesnt go cold at times, and pray that I do a better job of leading our family through this trial than I have over the last few days. Ive been trying to do it on my own, and we all know how well things work when we try to do things without Gods help. I publicly want to tell my wife that I am sorry for our scuffles, and I will continue to strive to be better. I love my wife, and Im so proud of how she has been handling this battle of feeling helpless while others take care of our children.

Im writing this for myself...I think probably because it is theraputic for me....Ephesians 5:25 says "Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it".

Love needs to be more than a feeling...it needs to be a verb...a verb that requires action.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeff, We are all human, when things get very hectic we all have that issue, not knowing where, what, when, etc. Nicki knows that you love here very much, maybe this is a little test that God is giving you. Hang is there remember you are not alone. We are praying for all of you. We hope that you have a peaceful Sunday.

Sue said...

I read your posts often and I need to tell you you and Nicki are an amazing couple. I love how real you are, but also how trusting you are on God. We are all human and being up at the NICU adds a new stress to a marriage that one cannot explain. Just hug often and talk often and let one another vent to the other cause it helps. You have a beautiful family and you will get through this. I'll be praying! Hope Melanie has done well over the weekend. -Sue

Anonymous said...

Jeff and Nicki

Where are our updates? I know you are busy but I am always checking to see if there is a new one.

Just waiting.

MTB