Monday, November 16, 2009

Hope...in helplessness

I take you back in history, to a date...that all who lived through it...will never forget. September 11, 2001 was a day that we almost all remember where we were when we heard the news...we remember the emotions...the questions....the lump in our throats that didnt go away....

I write you today, following a days work, as the father of baby Melanie with this same lump...only its even more personal. I remember the questions on that day "who are these people flying these planes?"..."what do they want from us?"..."where are they coming from?"..what did the people in these buildings do to deserve this?"..."why the U.S.?"..."what can I do to help, can I drive over there?"..."can I give these people something?"..."what would I do when I got there?"..."if I ever see one of these people involved with this...I dont know what I'd do, but it wouldnt be pretty"...."I FEEL SO HELPLESS!!"

And today, I fastforward you to November 16, 2009...I'll share you my thoughts to parallel whats going on with Melanie, but please read all the way to the bottom, Im not really complaining. "where is all this bacterial coming from thats giving her this pneomonia to add to her other problems, as if breathing wasnt hard enough for her?"..."why did she get this spot on her lung?"..."why was she born so early?"..."why doesnt her heart valve close?"..."what can I do to help her?"..."why, even when Im at her bedside do I feel so far away?"..."why Melanie, what did she do to deserve this?"..."how can I take her pain away?"..."why cant things just go back to normal?"..."why cant she just get better and we let her come home and fight with her sisters?"..."if I find whats doing this, its not gonna be pretty"..."I FEEL SO HELPLESS!!"

All these questions, and only one place to go for the answers. Yes, its true, Melanie is having a very rough day, and yes, its true that we feel just as helpless as all of you reading this who feel wayyyyy too far away, and yes, its true, our hope lies in only one place.

I take you back again to 9/11...where did we find hope on that day? Did our president's speech make us feel better? Dont know about you, but I saw helplessness in his eyes as well, and he didnt make me feel better.(Its Ok, Obama is changing and fixing everything...HA!!!...sorry) Did we feel better seeing those fighter jets flying around? Nope, we didnt even know where these people were coming from...Did we feel all better talking to family about it? In a way, but there wasnt complete peace following those conversations...Did we feel better when all the security was stepped up? Nope....Did those families who lost loved ones feel better the next day when it was all done....No.

And we dont feel complete peace by listening to doctors reports, and we cant make Melanie feel better by kissing her, and we cant say that she will get all better and firmly believe it, and we cant tell her that its ok, everything will be alright.....and dad cant tell her that he will take care of her, because he cant right now...

My only hope as a father, and our families only hope as a family, and your only hope as you read this, comes from one place....Thank you mom Westra, for telling me this today, even when I didnt want to hear it...but I do see it, even though it is tough at times...A great passage to continuosly learn from comes from the Heidelberg Catechism, question and answer #1

Question 1. What is thy only comfort in life and death?
Answer: That I with body and soul, both in life and death, am not my own, but belong unto my faithful Saviour Jesus Christ; who, with his precious blood, has fully satisfied for all my sins, and delivered me from all the power of the devil; and so preserves me that without the will of my heavenly Father, not a hair can fall from my head; yea, that all things must be subservient to my salvation, and therefore, by his Holy Spirit, He also assures me of eternal life, and makes me sincerely willing and ready, henceforth, to live unto him.

What a great comfort...

Thankfully, Im not in charge, and thankfully, baby Melanie is being held today, and everyday, not by her mom and dad, but by the only One who can truly protect and heal her...and thankfully, we have that peace.

As promised, here are some pictures of the beautiful baby girl that God has blessed us with. No CPAP, hair, good looking nose, the machines and monitors, the bed, her living space, all which serve a purpose...a purpose of glory to God...























Thank you again for all your prayers

8 comments:

Erin Wassink said...

your last picture really puts the perspective on it. all that equipment for just one little baby. praying for you guys!!!

erin wassink

Brenda said...

Jeff & Nicki - Thanks for all of the updates and pictures. You are always in our thoughts and prayers, especially during the more difficult days.

Tom & Brenda

Rodney and Kim Toering said...

Thank you for the pictures and the daily updates!! You are both such an inspiration to us all!! We love you and are praying for you and your family--especially precious Melanie Grace--remember her name, for it is through God's love, grace and mercy that you are strengthened and sustained.
Remember Ephesians 3:20-21--"Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power
that is at work within us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever!! Amen God Bless you!

Anonymous said...

to the Westra family I have been thinking of what I should tell you and I can't come up with anything really good. But this I know God has control of all things, hospitals doctors and nurses, and God uses these means for His own glory, we do not know all the whys but we know that God cares for all His children and we know that God cares for Melanie in her own small special way praise God and sleep well God is in control Love grandpa from Iowa

Anonymous said...

thank you for the updates, you guys are in our thoughts and prayers. God is in control!!
erin drnek

Anonymous said...

May God give you renewed strength and grace for the day. "God is our refuge and strength..."
Psalm 46
May God give you patience and hope as you walk through this trial.
"His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me!"
Lifting your family up in our prayers.

~ Matt & Jodee, and family

Cammengas said...

Our thoughts and prayers are with you guys. Either God has a plan or he doesn't. Your testimony shows your faith that God does have a plan and it is good. Thanks for your example. Our prayers will continue asking God to strengthen Melonie, and continue to uphold your family.

Anonymous said...

Jeff and Nicki,
Congratulations on another beautiful baby girl! We continue to pray that you and your family may find comfort and peace in knowing that our God is faithful!
Seth and Mary (Kooiker) Vis