Thursday, November 12, 2009

A Good Day!

Melanie had another good day today. Jeff was with her this morning and again right now. While I was with her this afternoon, she had to have a new pic-line put in because the one she had was not in far enough. They can't push it in further, they have to first put in a spacer to hold the place, pull out the catheter and then try to put in a new one in it's place. They thought it would take about an hour....well it took about 20min. They were able to accomplish their task the first time. Melanie did great. It took just a little bit to calm her back down after the procedure. If we could hear her cry I would have heard it today. You know when kids cry so hard they get the sniffles when their done...she had the sniffles when everything was done. I just wanted to hold her close and tell her everything would be okay. Instead I had to settle with holding her feet and hand and telling her through the top of her bed that everything would be okay. She is so strong already and not even two weeks old. Her breathing patterns today were a little different then they have been. She is taking more short, shallow breaths. One of the nurses told me today to quit watching the monitors. She said even though her breathing is different she is still maintaining her stats so there is nothing to be concerned with. She is doing just fine breathing the way she is. Other than that she has had a good day. I wasn't able to hold her this afternoon due to her procedure and my timing, but I know Jeff is holding her right now as I type this. He told me he was going to hold for an hour or two, maybe even three if he fell asleep :) I don't expect him before midnight. He is tired and he LOVES holding his baby girl on his chest. I'm pretty sure they will both be snoring logs over there in nursery 1. I'm going to go try to do the same!!
Here is a picture of her sleeping peacfully. She's on her right side (her favorite side) with one arm on her CPAP and the other sticking out. She has both of her bean-bags on for comfort (to make her feel like she's in the womb or being held tightly). She's just as snug as a bug in rug :)

10 comments:

Jodi said...

Good Moring!!
Nicki it was great seeing you and Melanie yesterday, glad things went well with changing the pic-line. Sounds like she had alot of daddy time last night. Hope you get to hold her today. I'm sure we will be seeing you guys again very soon!!
We will keep praying for strength for all of you as you continue to travel everyday, and the girls get into their routine.

Have a great day!!
Jodi

Brenda said...

Oh, Nicki! Those are the cutest pictures of Melanie! She looks totally content and absolutely cashed! She must take after her daddy :) Love and prayers,
the Pastoors

Glenda said...

Hey guys!
Melanie looks so adorable hanging out there looking like....it's perfectly normal to be laying here with beanbags on my side just chillin' holding my CPAP!! How cute!!! Hope you get lots of mommy holding time today Nicki!! Glad the PIC line went so well!! Not so glad she was so sad after it! :(
Say hi to Miya and Jayden for us!! Love you all!!!
Glenda

Anonymous said...

Jeff and Nicki, we are very thankful to hear that your little girl is doing so well. We pray that she continues to do well. We have you all in our thoughts and prayers daily
Evan, Kim and Ben

Erin Wassink said...

she looks so peaceful on cpap. sometimes it's hard to position them just right with all that on they're face. glad to hear she's doing well. praying for all of you

erin wassink

Anonymous said...

love that hand up by her face! so happy that the picc change went so quickly - love those NNPs! See you tomorrow!
Anne

Jeff and Nicki Westra said...

Thanks Anne for the correct spelling of picc. So do those letters stand for something too???

Unknown said...

I am glad to hear the surgery was quicker than anticipated but I am sorry she was so upset. At least you were there with her during it, and I believe that she knows that too! It was great to see you and the girls yesterday. We continue to keep the whole family in our prayers.

Please let us know if we can help you in any way!

The Witter Family

Jodi Beintema said...

Im glad everything went well with the picline change! I remember constantly watching the monitors, they change so much and the nurses told me to focus on my son, not the monitors! Melanie is beautiful!! I love the hand up by the CPAP. Your family is in our prayers!!!
Jodi

Jeanine said...

Looking forward to seeing you guys tonight! I hope you have a good morning with all your girls!