Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Quick Update

Just a quick update for now. God is good. After reading comments from yesterday's post several ended with God is in control. We saw that AGAIN, today. Dr. Gelfand (Melanie's primary Dr.) is back today....yeah!! They ordered another chest x-ray to make decisions about her PDA surgery. Well it showed Melanie's pnewmatoseal (SP??) larger then yesterday's x-ray. So they called Dr. Hillman...a cardiothorasic surgeon (i'm terrible with titals...Anne and Jane help!!) His advice was to fix this "blurb" first, so she can have the PDA surgery. So today after many opinions, advice, and discussions it was decided to put a chest tube into this "blurb" to evacuate it. The procedure went very well. Dr. Gelfand did the procedure at Melanie's bedside with Dr. Hillman watching in case of a phisher?? which would require surgery. I was able to stay in the room. I sat behind some curtains praying and journaling. About the time I was wishing Jeff were there Dr. Jones walked in. He is a retired nenonatologist of 35 years. He just happened to come talk to me at the exact time of the procedure. The providence of God!! He talked me through the procedure and answered many other questions I had. Before I knew it, the procedure was done and I was able to hold her legs again!!

We are truly blessed with the staff here in the NICU! They are amazing. Sometimes a 40min drive feels like forever, but really, right in our backyard we have the best Dr.s, nurses, (and all the other people that make the NICU work). We are so thankful for that.

Melanie is resting peacefully right now. Her hands up by her face and she is sleeping away. Her stats are doing better and Anne continues to lower her oxygen level. We'll try to post more tonight.

9 comments:

Jeanine said...

We're so thankful this procedure went well! Thoughts and prayers
Jared and Jeanine

Anonymous said...

glad to hear the procedure went well! our God is amazing!!
erin drnek

Erin Wassink said...

Dr jones was one of my favorites. i'm glad he was there to help you while the procedure was going on. praying for you guys as you face the obstacles ahead.

erin wassink

Brenda said...

Wonderful news! What a strong little girl, but then what did we expect from such strong parents! Your courage and faith and contentment are an example for the rest of us! Continuing to pray for strength and grace for you both and God's sustaining hand on Melanie.
the Pastoors

Mazurek said...

We are so glad that the procedure went well. You have one strong little girl. Your family still is in our thoughts and prayers.
Ben Sara Emma and Kaylee

Unknown said...

So glad all went well today. Keeping you in prayer.
Kevin and Leesa

Anonymous said...

Praying...
Sending our love and prayers, Chris, Michelle & Grant

Jodi said...

Hey Nicki,
Again, great news, love that fiesty little girl, she is a fighter, and we pray that Melanie continues to heal and to keeps getting stronger everyday. Yes, again God is good!!

Jodi

Anonymous said...

Dear Westra family in our bedroom is a type of picture that my wife put there for me but I want to share it with you it says RELAX GOD IS IN CONTROL now I know that isn't easy but we will both try I also want you to know that several people from Iowa the last few days have been asking me hows it going not knowing anything about Melanie I tell them I'm alright but then I explain about my grandaughter they all tell me to let you know they will pray for her and you one guy asked me the name again so he could get it right in his prayers isn't it something how a small child can make everone stop and think about what is really important Luv ya take care grandpa from iowa